“My best friend Amanda was in town for the weekend and she loves sushi as well so we were both looking forward to the all you can eat sushi experience.
“The all you can eat sushi is about $50 a person so Amanda and I had to make sure we got our money’s worth, which meant eating a lot.
“Our dinner was about two hours long because we were so stuffed we had to keep taking breaks.
“Immediately after dinner we were so full we had to sit in my car for about 30 minutes before driving home. My stomach felt very firm from all the sushi and probably the rice that expanded in my stomach.
“That night I went to sleep at my boyfriend’s house and I had the worst stomach ache but didn’t think much of it since I had a huge meal! I am not a morning person so when I woke up around 6am the next day I knew something was wrong.
“My stomach and chest had intense pain and it was hard to take deep breaths.”
Danielle Shapiro, 24, went for a $50-a-head sushi buffet in California, where diners could help themselves to as much food as they liked.
Danielle, who posts on TikTok as @danielleshap, decided to she really wanted to get value for money so chowed down on 32 sushi rolls, four gyozas, one bowl of edamame beans, two jalapeño poppers and a bowl of miso soup – fair play, that’s quite impressive.
But while it was all fun and games at the time, the aftermath of her actions soon caught up with her as she woke up with extreme stomach pains the next day.
Poor Danielle ended up having to go to hospital where she was told she had gastroesophageal reflux disease – which occurs when stomach acid flows back into the esophagus.
After realising the pain was too severe, Danielle’s boyfriend and her grandmother took her to the hospital where she spent several hours before being told she had gastroesophageal reflux disease and was given medication.
Fortunately, she’s fine now and has said the whole experience didn’t put her off sushi.