Atlanta police arrested a second suspect in death of 6-month-old

Credit: Fulton County Sheriff's Office)

Recordings of four 911 calls released Thursday described a frantic scene as a mother cried for help and strangers rushed to aid her baby.

“My baby was shot in a drive-by!” Kerri Gray said to a 911 operator. “There was a drive-by, people were driving by and shooting and they got my baby, 6 months!”

According to AJC, Investigators arrested a second suspect in connection with the shooting death of a 6-month-old boy, Atlanta police said Thursday.

Sharice Michelle Ingram turned herself in Wednesday at police headquarters. She was charged with party to the crime of aggravated assault and party to the crime of felony murder and was being held without bond Thursday at the Fulton County Jail.

No information was released on what investigators believe was Ingram’s role in the Monday afternoon shooting. But she is not believed to be the shooter, according to police.

Grayson Matthew Fleming-Gray was shot shortly before 3 p.m. while in his car seat, riding in a vehicle near the Food Mart corner store on Anderson Avenue. Less than 24 hours later, the first suspect was in custody.

Dequasie Johnathan Little, 22, was arrested Tuesday and charged with felony murder and aggravated assault. Police Chief Rodney Bryant said tips from the community, and help from neighboring law enforcement agencies, led to the arrest. Little waived his first court appearance Wednesday morning.

After Little’s arrest, Bryant said investigators felt confident they had located the shooter. But the investigation is not over, he said.

Gray told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she had just parked at the food mart when she saw her baby slumped over. She believes the bullet went through the trunk of her car and struck Grayson, who never cried.

One witness told 911 people in two vehicles, a black Hyundai and a silver Jeep Cherokee, appeared to be chasing each other.

“Both vehicles had guns,” the woman said.

The two vehicles sped away after the baby was injured, witnesses said. One witness also reported her vehicle was hit by gunfire in a call to 911.

A former firefighter was among those who tried to help Grayson before paramedics arrived. But the baby was not breathing, the man told the 911 operator.

“There’s obviously nothing,” he said, his voice trailing off.

The child’s death was the second deadly shooting of the year involving babies.

On Thursday afternoon, Gray was at Willie A. Watkins Funeral Home to finalize arrangements for Grayson. A public visitation will be held Monday from 4-8 p.m. at the funeral home, located at 1003 Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard. A GoFundMe page was created to assist the family with costs.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here