Gwinnett County Public Schools has whittled down the list of candidates for the district-wide Teacher of The Year honor to just 25 educators, the school system announced Wednesday.
The list of semifinalists announced on Tuesday include 11 elementary school teachers, eight middle school teachers and six high school educators.
• Lee Allen of Archer High School — Algebra Teacher (Grade 9)
• Lucas Findlay of Baggett Elementary School — STEM and Robotics Teacher (Grades K-5)
• Taniesha Pooser of Berkmar Middle School — Orchestra Teacher (Grades 6-8)
• Erin Thompson of Brookwood High School — AP Statistics and Gifted Accelerated Pre-calculus Teacher (Grades 9-12)
• Jennifer Gebczyk of Camp Creek Elementary School — Music Teacher (Grades K-5)
• Jafria Wooden of Corley Elementary School — Early Intervention Program and English to Speakers of Other Languages Teacher (Grades K-5)
• Katrina Beaty Clavon of Dacula Middle School — Special Education Teacher – Interrelated Resource – Language Arts (Grade 6)
• Diane Cawthon of Ferguson Elementary School — Special Education Teacher – Autism Spectrum Disorder (Level 1) (Grades K-5)
• David Wise of Gwinnett Online Campus — Earth Science Teacher (Grade 6)
• Laurie C. Duke of Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology — Chorus, Orchestra, and AP Music Theory Teacher (Grades 9-12)
• Kanisha Sherman of Hull Middle School — Mathematics Teacher (Grade 6)
• Verenice Romo of Knight Elementary School — Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies Teacher (Grade 5)
• Vema Adams-Edwards of Lovin Elementary School — Special Education Teacher – Interrelated Resource – Language Arts and Mathematics (Grades K-2)
• Kumari Baker of Mason Elementary School — Special Education Teacher – Interrelated Resource (Grades 3 and 5)
• Katie Kangas of McClure Health Science High School — Algebra I and AP Statistics Teacher (Grades 9-12)
• Gretchen P. Galvin of Mountain View High School — Autism Mentor and Special Education Teacher – Autism Spectrum Disorder (Level 4) (Grades 9-12)
• Dr. LaTonya Parker of Norcross Elementary School — Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies Teacher (Grade 5)
• Jenny Stark of North Gwinnett Middle School — Media Specialist (Grades 6-8)
• Andy Edwards of Peachtree Ridge High School — Music Technology Teacher (Grades 9-12)
• Kelly Powell of Puckett’s Mill Elementary School —Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies Teacher (Grade 4)
• Alexis Pritchett of Shiloh Middle School — Science Teacher (Grade 8)
• Justice Ejike of Sweetwater Middle School — Physical Science Teacher (Grade 8)
• Bianca Woods of Trickum Middle School — Social Studies Teacher (Grade 6)
• Becca Brown of Winn Holt Elementary School — 4th Grade Teacher
The semifinalists were chosen from a field of 139 school-level teachers of the year from all of GCPS’ schools.
The district plans to announce its 2020-2021 Gwinnett County Teacher of the Year on Dec. 7 during a virtual celebration.